The Schools Music Association incorporating the Performing Arts
Follow SMA on Facebook:
Follow SMA on Twitter:
Now is a good time to join the SMA. On Joining the SMA you will receive a Welcome Pack. This will contain the SMA Handbook, the Register of Members, the current Bulletin, the current MusicWorld magazine (a fully photocopiable teacher resource - click here to see a specimen page) and the current Newsletter. You will also be kept up to date about regional events, workshops, special offers and the annual conference. Click here to join now online.
Who are we?
The Schools Music Association (SMA) is recognised as a national voice for music in education. We provide an essential network for music teachers, which serves as a vital link between those working with young people and the policy makers at local, regional and national level.
SMA officers meet regularly with representatives from QCDA, DfE, TA, DCMS and other statutory bodies and associations to reinforce the place of music in education.
Unlike most subject associations, SMA regularly organises musical events for children and young people.
The Association comprises all those who care about music in education today:
- teachers in infant, junior and secondary schools (in the maintained and independent sectors)
- teachers in special schools and colleges
- musicians who work within education and the community
- music centres, services and agencies
- inspectors, advisers and consultants
- schools, colleges, youth choirs, orchestras and libraries
- local authorities and parents
- festivals, adjudicators and workshop presenters
- publishers, manufacturers, music shops and others within the music trade
What can we do for you?
- provide opportunities to discover, discuss and evaluate new developments in music and music education
- organise performances in major venues, both locally and nationally
- provide networking opportunities
- publish a termly bulletin which includes reviews of events, new resources, special offers and details about workshops and courses in your area and a termly prize-winning quiz for pupils
- produce a register or members, locally and nationally
- provide details of national musical events
- organise the annual national conference and regional weekend conferences, day courses and workshops
- advertising opportunities for Individual, Corporate and Commercial Members
- provide constructive comment on quality and help for your school instrumental ensembles and choirs through the SMA Music Awards scheme
- give access to practitioners who are qualified to lead and/or judge school music festivals, or present workshops, through the International Guild of Adjudicators, Festivals and Workshop Presenters (IGAFWP)